This website places cookies on your device to help us improve our service to you. To find out more, see our Privacy and Cookies statement.

If you receive or are included in an award of Universal Credit:

  • and had no earnings or net earnings (take-home pay) of £435 or less during the last assessment period*; or
  • which includes an element for a child and/or limited capability for work or limited capability for work related activities, and had no earnings (take-home pay) or net earnings of £935 or less during the last assessment period*;

 you are entitled to help with health costs.


Note:  if you’re part of a couple then the net earnings threshold applies to your combined net earnings.


 *Your assessment period will run for a calendar month from the date of your claim for Universal credit (which will be shown on your award notice), and between the same dates each month after that.  You’ll need to have met the eligibility criteria above in the last complete Universal Credit assessment period before your health costs arise.


The evidence you must send is:

If you qualify under one of these thresholds, send a copy of your full award letter (i.e. all pages) from your Job Centre Plus showing you received Universal Credit on the date we require, or a copy of a letter (all pages) showing that you are included in your partner’s award on the date we require.



If you do not have any paperwork for the date we require, provided you are the claimant, and you are sure you receive Universal Credit, you can telephone the Department for Work & Pensions and request a copy of your award letter.